|Collects and processes clinical laboratory specimens of the patient population. Receives, orders, &accessions sample is knowledgeable about reporting processes. Schedule and hours can be altered on shortnotice to cover laboratory outreach areas due to unscheduled absence. Promotes a culture of safety andexhibits behaviors of a high reliability organization.
- Assists in delivery of physicians’ reports via phone, electronic internal & external distribution in a timelymanner.
- Performs venipuncture on patients of all age groups and other specimen collection consistently with propertherapeutic skills and according to procedures.
- Maintains work area and supplies according to protocol between patients and end of shift. Maintainslaboratory information system skills. Monitors error logs.
- Performs EKGs accurately, according to established procedures, as required & submits results forinterpretation according to established policy and procedure, as required.
- Obtains diagnosis and patient demographics to ensure proper billing, as required.
- Receives samples into the laboratory, orders, and accessions. Responsible for Reference Lab orders andresults as required.
- Performs some waived Laboratory testing on-site and reporting of results according to government standards,as required.
- Assists with specimen processing and preanalytical testing functions.
- Adheres to all organizational policies and procedures. Executes all tasks and behaves in a manner consistent with a culture of compliance, safety and a high reliability organization; behavior supports the organization’s core commitments of Integrity, Service, Respect, Teamwork, Excellence, and Innovation.
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) required. Six months training in laboratory setting preferred.
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (PBT) through the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) preferred.Certified as a Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider required within 90 days of employment in this position.
- 0 to 4 years progressive experience in a related field required
Skills and Attributes
- Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment. Works under minimal supervision. Must be able to workin a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees. Specific duties and responsibilities consistent with the general nature and level of work described may vary by department and additional related duties may be assigned as needed. Some duties listed may not apply to all areas.
Additional Position Related Details
- Populations Served
- Training is provided relevant to the population served, based on scope of care of the service assignment.
- Physical Requirements
Activity and Frequency:
- Bending/Stooping – Frequently
- Climbing – Never
- Keyboard Data Entry – Frequently
- Kneeling – Never
- Lifting/Moving Patients – Never
- Lifting/Carrying (Non-Patient) – 0-25 lbs – Frequently
- Lifting/Carrying (Non-Patient) – over 75 lbs – Never
- Pushing/Pulling – 0-25 lbs – Frequently
- Pushing/Pulling – 25-75 lbs – Never
- Pushing/Pulling – over 75 lbs – Never
- Reaching – Frequently
- Repetitive Foot/Leg Movements – Never
- Repetitive Hand/Arm Movements – Frequently
- Running – Never
- Sitting – Occasionally
- Squatting – Never
- Standing – Frequently
- Walking – Frequently
- Audible Speech – Frequently
- Hearing Acuity – Frequently
- Smelling Acuity – Never
- Taste Discrimination – Never
- Vision: Depth Perception – Frequently
- Vision: Distinguish Color – Frequently
- Vision: Seeing – Far – Frequently
- Vision: Seeing – Near – Frequently
Owensboro Health is committed to providing a safe working environment including training and access to person protective equipment necessary to this position. While performing duties of this position, occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens is present for all employees.